Changing Android Web Browser’s Homepage Settings Through content://com.android.browser.home/
Updated on April 19, 2022 | By Mehak Gupta
We all are well aware of this very famous operating system, Android, but what we don’t know is how it was introduced. The Android system initially came as a privilege to all smartphone users, but as time passed, it has now become a necessity. I don’t think that at this time there would be anyone who isn’t aware of this amazing system and the number of exciting features it offers. Well, these were all the good things, being such a huge operating system, it also faces some issues with its operations.
The thing with any issue is that we cannot blame anyone for their occurrence, but people might not know that there are some problems that people face because the manufacturer put them intentionally. One of these issues is locking the browser’s homepage to a page that has its promotional content on it. In this case, what a user intends to do is change their default browser’s settings. This can be achieved simply by using content://com.android.browser.home/.
So let’s learn more about it, but first let’s have a look at some of the best Android browsers.
Best Android Browsers
Here’s a list of some of the best browsers for Android:
- Firefox Browser
- Dolphin Browser
- Brave Browser
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Opera’s Browser
- Tor Browser
- Samsung Internet Browser
The Internet browser is said to be one of the most important functions of a smartphone, maybe this is why having the wrong browser affects almost everything in a device. And this is why the introduction of content://com.android.browser.home/ has made a great change in the entire settings of a browser. So let’s know what it is and how it can be used to change the browser settings.
What is content://com.android.browser.home/?
In simple words, content://com.android.browser.home/, is a syntax that is used when someone has to change or customize the settings of their default browser.
It’s like a hidden way of changing the browser settings that most people don’t know about. If you look at your current internet browser link closely, you will find something similar to this content://com.android.browser.home/, the difference is just that instead of accessing a site associated with it, it will lead you to a folder located on your Android smartphone. Don’t worry, it just sounds complex, but in reality, it’s too easy and simple, let’s understand it deeply and then proceed towards the main procedure:
- The initial syntax that says “content://”, is simply used to specify that you are referring to the content of the specified path.
- And the next part is “com.android.browser.”, this refers to the Android package you are referring to, in this case, it’s the default browser’s settings.
- And the last part, the suffix “home” again refers to the Android package and in this case, it refers to the homepage of the web browser.
Let’s now learn how can we use it:
- Launch your default Android web browser.
- In the top right corner of the screen, click on the menu button.
- There, locate the settings options and in the settings, scroll down and click on the “Android Browser Settings”.
- After that, click on “General” and then on the “Set Homepage” option.
- In the given option, enter the URL of the browser that you want to set as your browser’s homepage.
And you are done, you have successfully changed your browser’s homepage settings.
We understand that some of you might find this method a little confusing or the method itself might not work for you. But you have got nothing to worry about because we have got an alternative method for you, let’s have a look:
- Launch the site that you want to use as your browser’s homepage.
- On the site, go to the menu option.
- There, add the page to the bookmark.
- Once added, click on the menu button again.
- Now go to Bookmarks/History.
- There, locate the site of your browser and press and hold on to it.
- After that, a pop-up will appear on your screen, and from there, click on “Set as Homepage”.
And you’re done. This might be an alternative method but most people find this method much easier than the other one.
Next, what we should learn is how to change the default web browser of your Android smartphone. Let’s see how.
Changing the Default Web Browser in Android Smartphones From Your Device’s Settings
People often think that the default web browser on their smartphones is the only browser they can use, but the truth is they can have multiple options when selecting a web browser for their Android smartphone. The point of changing the default web browser is to get a better experience while surfing the web. Each browser comes with a different significance that can only be found in it. Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc. there are innumerable browsers that you can use on your Android smartphone, and if you have a Samsung device you can also use Samsung Internet on your phone.
It’s not mandatory to use the default browser on your phone, but the reason people keep on using it the entire time is that they don’t know that they can change their browser’s settings. Even if some do know this, they don’t know the right steps for it. This is why we have made this list of steps you can follow to change your default browser’s settings on your smartphone.
To get a new browser, all you have to do is pick the one that you want as your default browser, download it, and install it on your device. Once the browser is installed, it will ask you to select it as your default browser, select yes in the given option, and you are done.
Setting up a new browser as your device’s default browser is pretty simple and easy but changing it to the previous one or with any other browser can be a little tricky. But you have got nothing to worry about because we have made this list of steps to help you with this, just follow the below-given steps and you’ll be alright:
- Visit the setting of your smartphone.
- Locate the Apps and notification option there and click on it.
- There, click on Default, and then in the default apps.
- In the default apps section, click on Browser.
- You will have a list of available browsers on your smartphone there, select the one that you want as your default browser and click on it.
And you are done, you have successfully changed the default browser’s settings on your Android smartphone.
We all have different opinions, we all have different choices, and some people do prefer using the same old browser that came as default with their phone. But some people prefer changing their default browser occasionally, this gives them a better web experience and makes their time on the internet even more fun. And not that you have known the right steps, you can also change your default browser’s setting at any time. There are truckloads of browsers to pick from, plus when content://com.android.browser.home/ gives you a chance of using a much more secure and well-protected browser, you have got nothing to worry about.